Tuesday, November 13, 2007

those socks have CLASS!

knit night was cool as always, there were a lot of new knitters there last night.
also last night I got to announce my super secret plan: I'm going to teach a sock knitting class!

there will not be a 'sock pattern' per se, what I'll be teaching are the several different elements of socks, like different heels and toes and ways of making socks, like toe up or top down or magic loop. then I'll talk about the math of gauge and making socks fit right. once I'm done they should be able to knit any kind of sock they want and way they want. or at least have the knowledge to figure it out on their own.

I finally decided to do this class after the millionth person acted all amazed at how I knit my socks two at once toe up, and how they always fit, and how I always find such pretty patterns. and how they could NEVER do that on their own. I got sick of it, they ARE smart enough, it's just that most of them don't have the internet (and far too much free time) that I do to go out and dig up and read about all these different techniques and figure out what I like and what works for me.

so in this class I will give them a little background, a few different ways things are done, and the ability to take that information and run with it.

it's going to be a two hours once a week for four weeks type of thing, and since all of the practice swatches I'm planning won't take nearly a whole skein I'm going to dye up and bunch of smaller skeins for them to play with, other than that they will only need to buy needles and bring int he normal tools any other knitter has like darning needles and scissors.

I'm totally stoked, I already have all the outlines written up and am working on the handouts, and making swatches in my spare time. kinda sad really since the class won't be until January.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I come? Can I heckle? Can I have a calculator?

TURBOchic said...

Congrats! Sounds like a ton of fun both the class and the planning!

Powered By Blogger

Creative Commons

Creative Commons License
This blog and everything contained within is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.